[Mediawiki-l] Extension manager

Monahon, Peter B. Peter.Monahon at USPTO.GOV
Fri Jun 8 16:54:55 UTC 2007

> Kasimir wrote: Are there any talks of
> implementing an extension manager
> and a proper extension repository?
> Something that will allow new versions
> to be detected, downloaded, UPGRADE
> files to be displayed, etc all from one
> location? Something that could also
> allow enabling, disabling, installing,
> and uninstalling extensions?  I would
> be willing to work on one if there is
> a demand.

Like Firefox's built in extension manager
http://opensourcearticles.com/articles/introduction_to_firefox_4 and
it's market-provided extensions
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:1 right?  Make your
own http://businesslogs.com/technology/firefox_extension_tutorial.php

Now you're getting the picture of what end user's (including installers,
admins and visitors) expect from their on-screen experience.  GREAT
IDEA!

- Peter Blaise

PS - Now, what ideas can we adapt and adopt from Quicken, Word perfect,
Lotus 1-2-3 ... Xteq X-Setup, TweakUI ... But don't let these ideas leak
into the developer chat group, we wouldn't want to spoil their sealed
container with any new (old) ideas, or actual customer expectations,
now, would we?!?  ;-)