[Mediawiki-l] Extra Edit Buttons (XEB) installation success

Carlos Hanson carlos.hanson at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 17:59:42 UTC 2007

I read some posts involving the setup of extra edit buttons for the
editing toolbar that helped me.  Some folks seemed to have difficulty.
 Since I did get it to work, I wanted to post what I did.  It ended up
being very simple.

The source code for the Extra Edit Buttins (XEB) is found at the following URL:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:MarkS/Extra_edit_buttons
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:MarkS/extraeditbuttons.js

The subject of the thread I read follows:

  [Mediawiki-l] A more advanced editing toolbar  (the subject of the thread)

I am using MediaWiki version 1.9.3, so that may be why it worked so
well.  The key for me was accessing and editing the page
MediaWiki:common.js as WikiSysop.  I used lowercase for common.js, but
when I now search for it, I find MediaWiki:Common.js.  So it looks
like case on common.js doesn't matter.  I don't care why right now.
:-)

I simply cut and pasted the extraeditbuttons.js code into that page
and all worked well.  Now I have XEB available to all users.

I still have to review the code to determine what I need to do to use
local copies of the images for the buttons.  Also there is mention of
moving the live.css file locally as well.  But both are secondary
issues for me right now.

--
Carlos Hanson