[Mediawiki-l] Any leads on a basic wiki setup-and-configure instruction manual?

Dave Sigafoos davesigafoos at sanmar.com
Wed Jun 6 13:27:58 UTC 2007

There is the concept of SUBPAGE.  If you have a page called MY PAGE you
can then create a page called MY PAGE/SUB1

This will auto-magically create a backward link in ../SUB1 to MY PAGE.

There is also an extension which will create a TOC of the sub-pages for
the current page

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:SubPageList2

(by the way, this information was found by doing a search on 'subpage'
on MW)

I would still suggest that you look at the book "MediaWiki
Administrator's Tutorial Guide" by Mizanur Rahman and published by Packt
Publishing, Ltd. (www.packtpub.com).  It isn't the 'end all and be all'
but there are good bits of information about Mediawiki.  I still find
myself browsing through the book and finding bits that make the synapses
fire.

Also browsing the archives is another good source of brain food.

The simple fact is that MediaWiki, though appearing to be well written,
is not *well* documented and it is very complex.

As a developer/consultant for 28 years I can assure you that even in
well run companies this can be the norm.  It is documented well enough
for someone to start working with Brion or Rob but for the newbies to MW
.. it can be a stretch.  'specially since most of the time it is not the
primary function.

So I would suggest that you stop complaining and put very specific
questions and/or suggestions out.  If you can get answers great .. if
not then move on to the next problem.

It really will work better.

DSig
David Tod Sigafoos | SANMAR Corporation