[Mediawiki-l] Any leads on a basic wiki setup-and-configure instruction manual?

Gary Kirk gary.kirk at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 21:19:03 UTC 2007

Ahem.

Go to Special:Allmessages on your wiki. You know how to do this.

There a large (as in length and file size) page will display, showing
every single piece of text in MediaWiki's interface, taken from
MessagesXX.php in /languages, in the wiki's default language. The
blocks of green show a non-default message is used - that is, it has
been edited.

Simple, I would've thought, no?

On 05/06/07, Monahon, Peter B. <Peter.Monahon at uspto.gov> wrote:

> >> Peter Blaise wrote: ... I'm trying to compile a
> >> "see this on a MediaWiki screen, edit it ... HERE"
> >> ... listing for MediaWiki administration.
> >> Can anyone link me to a list that
> >> addresses these on-screen MediaWiki
> >> words and their synonyms, and shows
> >> where to edit/control their appearance ...
>
> > Jan wrote: I'm not exactly clear on what
> > you want. Perhaps you're looking for
> > [[Special:Allmessages]]?
>
> Thanks for your question and suggestion, Jan.
>
> Wow, there's 145 pages of unintelligible documentation at
> http://yourwiki.com/index.php?title=Special:Allmessages&ot=html and
> http://yourwiki.com/index.php?title=Special:Allmessages&ot=php - no
> wonder it's hard to find quick answers for MediaWiki inquires.
>
> By the way, that series of pages is also a good example of the
> misaligned jargon syndrome within MediaWiki community:
>
> Go to [[Special:Allmessages]] and find a screen that says not
> "Special:Allmessages" but instead says "System messages"
>
> ... so someone would find it by searching for ... which term?
>
> Anyway, there are some synonyms in it which help resolve some
> ambiguities, but no directions to where to control the on-screen
> MediaWiki parts (not the contents of user contributed articles, but the
> on-screen parts of MediaWiki itself).
>
> What I want is to know how to find what controls anything on a MediaWiki
> screen.
>
> Say a user asks me to change the logo - where do I find the control for
> that?
>
> Say the next user wants me to change the wording of the tabs across the
> top - where's the control for that?
>
> And so on, for everything we can see in a default MediaWiki
> installation.
>
> Example: I open the manual for my camera and the first thing it does is
> tell me the "names of the parts".  Then when they say, "open the battery
> door," I can look at their map and see what they are talking about.  And
> they don't sometimes refer to it as the "power source compartment".  No,
> it's always the "battery door".  When they say, "look at the top panel
> lcd," I then know they call it the "top panel lcd" when I contact anyone
> for help.  It's never the "horizontal display".  No, it's always the
> "top panel lcd" wherever it's referred to.
>
> MediaWiki, however, has no such master "names of parts" page that I can
> find, making it hard to find the control for any MediaWiki screen
> element I'm staring right at!  And when we do have something on screen
> with an apparent name, it seems to be controlled by something under
> another name, such as, "discussion" is really "talk" and:
>
> on-screen "navigation"
> ... = MediaWiki:Sidebar
> ... = http://{your wiki's URL}/index.php?title=MediaWiki:Sidebar
>
> And so on.  That's why I asked for help finding the names of the
> MediaWiki parts, such as:
>
> - on-screen "search"
> ... = (synonym?)
> ... = place for a wiki admin to edit/control it

> [...]

Gary Kirk