[Mediawiki-l] Empty session data files

Scott Thile sethile.pipes at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 17:58:32 UTC 2007

Hello again folks,

I'm still fighting a battle with lost session data.

It seems like I'm getting closer--I have my session.save_path in a custom
php.ini file pointing correctly to a directory I have full access too, and
files are being written there, but they are empty (0 bytes)! The end result
is I'm still not able to edit pages while logged in. Mediawiki continues to
report a loss of the session data. Another php site we have on the same
server space does show session data in it's session file, so I think it's
something with the mediawiki configuration.

The files being written are in the format
"sess_lotsofrandomnumbersandletters" ,  and permissions are set to -re------
(600).  Is that how they should look?

Complete symptoms: I can only edit files if I'm NOT logged in. I can only
upload files if I am logged in. I can only stay logged in while changing
pages if I check the "Remember me on this computer" box while logging in. In
other words, in appears that no session data is being saved on the server,
and/or being retrieved, in spite of the session files being written in the
directory specified.

What else can I be missing that would be causing a continuous loss of
session data and empty session files?

This is a fresh install of version 1.10.0 running under PHP Version
5.1.0RC1, The Server API is listed as CGI, if I am stating that correctly,
and this is all running on Linux. I'm using a custom php.ini file I can teak
to override the defaults. If it helps to figure out the issue, here is a
link to pi.php file to see the environment: http://pipedia.org/pi.php

I'm a noob with all this. I love mediawiki, and think it's perfect for my
application, but I obviously need to get this nailed down before I can
launch the project. Could this have to do with PHP running under CGI, or is
there another explanation? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for trying to help, Scott
http://www.Pipedia.org