[Mediawiki-l] Wikipedia Like Categories.

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 04:10:55 UTC 2007

Telstra is using MediaWiki, huh? Very cool! :)

This extension might be useful for you: (I haven't used it)
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:SelectCategory

On 19/04/07, Connolly, Wayne <Wayne.Connolly at team.telstra.com> wrote:
> Q: I would like to get a category section like the one on wikipedia
> front page(after your language choice at top right). So you have
> overarching categories and subs under them.
>
> How is that done with the FCK editor?

Categories are created right within the wiki. Any page can be added to
a category by editing the page and typing [[Category:Foo]] (unless you
use the extension above).

Categories will appear as red links at the bottom of pages until the
categories are also created. The best way to create a  category is
edit the page and add a parent category.

Then on the main page of your wiki, you can link to a category page
(instead of adding the page to the category) by inserting a leading
colon in the link:

"Look at [[:Category:Policies]], [[:Category:Documentation]] or
[[:Category:Dealing with complaints]]" (or... whatever :))

> Also
>
> Q: Can you have closed user categories/groups?

Do you mean categories that only sysops can add items to? No.
It's not clear what you're trying to ask.

HTH,
Brianna