[Mediawiki-l] need help with skin edit

Michael Daly mikedaly at magma.ca
Mon Apr 16 19:42:31 UTC 2007

revansx at cox.net wrote:
> I am a new to CSS

That could slow you down :)

> what I wish to do is make the background of this DIV section
 > a color which is determined by the heading depth...i.e. <h1>
 > is darkest and <h2> is lighter than <h1> and so forth.

Look in main.css.  You'll find all the CSS for the various Hn tags.
You'll also find some are identified by the tag that they apply to.  You
can (should be able to) set the colours for the background and
foreground with those.  You may have to create a new set of Hn
definitions with a specific tag reference to limit your changes to body
content.

My advice if you have a wiki that is in use and no stand-alone test wiki
- create a dummy skin to experiment with.  Log on and set your
preferences to that skin.  That will allow you to experiment at will
without affecting the other users.  When you're happy with the results,
you can move (with appropriate renaming) the files to the real skin.

Mike