[Mediawiki-l] Any leads on a basic wikisetup-and-configure instruction manual?

Monahon, Peter B. Peter.Monahon at USPTO.GOV
Wed Apr 11 20:17:49 UTC 2007

> Peter Blaise wrote: ... specific MediaWiki
> struggles ...  shared ... in my first post, but ...
> was rejected by the list-serve admin ...

> Rob wrote: ... A decent explanation was given
> the first time ...

Peter Blaise responds: By whom?  To whom??  Are you saying my first post
(the missing quashed one) was decent?  Are you saying the admin's
private reply to me quashing my first post was decent?  Are you saying
my subsequent first post, which was an edited down version of my real
first attempted post, was decent?  Are you saying the replies to my
watered-down post were decent?  Pick one, or clarify, please!

I think as technical people, we're not used to writing clearly,
unambiguously, or writing at all, for ourselves, and certainly not for
lay people (I am proudly both) and this is the challenge I have in
finding complete and expansive documentation on the nascent MediaWiki
world.

> Rob wrote ... this is wikitech-l ...

Peter Blaise responds: I get confused sometimes, too.  This is
mediawiki-l!  However, I cross posted to both because (a) the
instructions at both said to cross post to both, and (b) I felt my post
was appropriate for both.  No one has to agree with me (obviously!).

> Rob wrote ... wikitech-l ... [is] the mailing list for
> internal developer discussion of technical issues
> related to the Wikimedia Foundation ...

Peter Blaise responds: ... and I think they are the main audience for my
inquiries.  Why should they not be aware of my needs?  Automotive
analogy wise, are you saying Ford engineers should be isolated from
customers asking for, say, intermittent wipers or electric locks?  I've
got a vehicle with no locks or keys, and no documentation or on-vehicle
avenue of resolution.  Why not tell the makers?  I'd think they're the
ones most highly motivated to make their vehicle the best customer
service product they can muster.  Or, is that the problem - they're
struggling or otherwise preoccupied and are unable to listen to their
customers at the moment?  Is it a financial thing - MediaWiki is tiny
and broke, and their fantastic startup idea is all they can muster?

> Rob wrote: ... General MediaWiki support posts
> need to be made to mediawiki-l, which is a list
> set up for that purpose.  You'll find considerable
> more help in the list archives there ...

Peter Blaise responds: Rob, are you saying "I (Rob) have found that
wikitech-l folk don't wanna hear from the like of you (Peter Blaise), so
my helpful advice is to look where you might find helpful people," or,
are you saying "I (Rob) as list-serve admin of wikitech-l, am preventing
you from bothering wikitech-l folk, and I'm doing that by quashing your
posts to them"?

- Peter Blaise