[Mediawiki-l] Any leads on a basic wikisetup-and-configure instruction manual?

Monahon, Peter B. Peter.Monahon at USPTO.GOV
Wed Apr 11 19:38:07 UTC 2007

> Peter Blaise wrote: Thanks ... I'm not sure
> what you mean, though.  "... include the
> Wikipedia: namespace in the search..." by
> doing what?

> Someone responded: ... If you're going to set
> up a MediaWiki site, then the first thing you
> have to do is get familiar with using MediaWiki ...

Peter Blaise responds: Oh?  How so?  After using Wikipedia for a while
now, I built one on my own and have ~1/2 a million words in ~4,500
[Edit]able paragraphs ...
<smarta** on> what was the *first* thing I should do, again?  </smarta**
off>
Seriously, Ian, I think most people read as much as they can find and
believe they need to get started, then troubleshoot anything that needs
attention from there.  Sadly, by teaching ourselves, we can hardly be
expected to get smarter than our masters.  ;-)  So, without a thorough
and complete instruction manual based on successful, and unsuccessful,
experience, how would anyone even know to think about, say, "categories"
or user hierarchies before implementing a Wiki?  Just one example.

> Someone responded further: ... In Wikipedia,
> if you click the button marked "Search", it will
> take you to a page that explains all about
> searching -- including how to search specific
> namespaces ...

Oh really?!?  Here's the entire screen contents when following your
instructions:

=====
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=&fulltext=Search