[Mediawiki-l] Storing or Linking Documents

Dave Sigafoos davesigafoos at sanmar.com
Fri Apr 6 16:26:24 UTC 2007

Ian ..

>> Thanks for that.   I didn't mention all the bits I had read and FAQ
>>was one of those items.  I believe we tried this but will check with
>>the other leader when they get in.

>But as I said, you may find the browser ignores file:///// links
>anyhow, for security.

Yes, this is what we are working on.

>> You mentioned ..
>>This is a tricky thing to fix, as many browsers will ignore these
>>links anyway; your best bet is to place the files somewhere the
>> web server (or some web server) can see them, and then use http:
>> links rather than file: links.
>>
>> If these files are on the server then http will be able to see them?
>> And launch correctly?  Not sure I understand this but will look at
>> it.

>If you upload the files into the Wiki then you can link to them with
>internal links.

I believe that I mentioned this trial in my original message.  The
problem with this method is that the user must save off locally then
upload again.

>If you place them under a different directory under your web server's
>document root then linking to them with http:// should work, and they
>should download/launch like any docs off the net.  So if your Wiki
>address is http://myserver/mediawiki/Main_Page, and it lives in
>c:\Web_Server\mediawiki, then you could place a document in
>c:\Web_Server\files\Stuff.doc, and link to it as
>http://myserver/files/Stuff.doc.

>Or place them on another web server, same deal.

>If your files have to live somewhere else on your system, then you
>should be able to make your web server include them in its virtual
tree.
>For example, I have files in d:/CodeView that I want to make available
>via http:// links, and my http.conf contains this:
>
>    # CodeView directory.
>    Alias /CodeView D:/CodeView
>    <Directory "D:/CodeView">
>       Options Indexes FollowSymLinks Includes
>       AllowOverride All
>       Order allow,deny
>       Allow from all
>    </Directory>

I get this. Of course this might be un-doable anyway as the users have
defined directories like

"\\Spokane\IT PM&A\7- PM&A Deliverable Templates\2 - Initiation &
Analysis\Project Request Template - New Brands.dot"

<sigh>

>(Seems like you're treading the same path I did... ;-)

Hope your requirements were easier <G>