[Mediawiki-l] Please remove the wrong property from global monobook stylesheet

Danny B. Wikipedia.Danny.B at email.cz
Mon Jul 17 01:05:32 UTC 2006

Hello,

I've posted the bug 6691 and it was (in my opinion unsubstantiatedly) closed twice as invalid while it is definitely not.

Here's the issue:

In "/skins-1.5/monobook/main.css" there's property assignment "text-transform: lowercase;" in ".portlet h5" selector. This assignment is wrong and does not have any sense or justification.

There are several cases, when users would like to have either capital or uppercase letters in headers of sections in sidebar. Two major cases are using of proper names (consider Wikipedia with capitals on one hand, but also cases like iPOD eg. with some uppercase letters wherever in the name on the other hand as well) and languages using capital letters (such as de or als for nouns, or other languages having habits to write headlines with capital letter(s)).

Default instalation of MediaWiki _should not_ have this kind of restrictions and _should not_ add unnecessary work - users _should not_ be pressurized to edit more files than really necessary. So if they want to change sidebar content, why should they have to change stylesheets?

I've also got feedback from some users who have been confused about this - they wrote something and it appeared in different way. Default installation of MediaWiki _should not_ be confusing.

Please remove that property assignment according to the reasons described above. It's better to have people to add features and properties instead of superfluously override them. If they will really _need_ to or _want_ to have everything lowercased (my point of view is this will be significant minority) they will change it. Please make it more user-friendly. Please give users the liberty to choose and do not impose such restrictions on them.

Thanks

Danny B.