[Mediawiki-api-announce] Fwd: [Wikitech-l] Protocol-relative URLs enabled on test.wikipedia.org

Roan Kattouw roan.kattouw at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 19:06:42 UTC 2011

Per the below, protocol-relative URLs are now enabled on
test.wikipedia.org and will be rolled out to the rest of the wikis
over the course of the next few weeks. What this means is that URLs
used in the interface will now look like //example.com instead of
http://example.com , so we can support both HTTP and HTTPS without
splitting our cache.

The API, in most cases, will not output protocol-relative URLs, but
will continue to output http:// URLs no matter whether you call it
over HTTP or HTTPS. This is because we don't expect API clients to be
able to resolve these correctly, and that the context of these URLs
(which is needed to resolve them) will frequently get lost along the
way. And we don't wanna go breaking clients, now, do we? :)

The exceptions to this, as far as I am aware, are:
* HTML produced by the parser will have protocol-relative URLs in <a
href="..."> tags etc.
* prop=extlinks and list=exturlusage will output URLs verbatim as they
appear in the article, which means they may output protocol-relative
URLs

If you are getting protocol-relative URLs in some other place, that's
probably a bug (or maybe it's intentional and I forgot to list it
here), so please let me know, or e-mail this list, or file bug, if you
see that happening.

Roan Kattouw (Catrope)