[Maps-l] Announcement:Project Wikipedia-World moved to PostGIS-DB

Tim Alder tim.alder at s2002.tu-chemnitz.de
Wed May 19 18:09:32 UTC 2010

Hello,
I moved with my Wikipedia coordinate extraction project Wikipedia-World:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProjekt_Georeferenzierung/Wikipedia-World/en
from Mysql to PostGIS on ptolemy.

The most advantage is that it is much faster and really support all 273 languages.
I have 3 tables for different zoomlevels and use a geometry index (gist).
I use coordinates-database from dispenser and merge the entries with the interwikilinks to one table.

I support the parameter "title" and can so extract more than one coordinate per article.
Everybody on ptolemy should have access to the database u_kolossos.

I hope ptolemy will be stable over the next few days because I want to publish the tool to the german community.
I would be happy if somebody else make a announcement to the other wikipedia communities.

Greetings Kolossos