[Maps-l] OSM Toolserver - spatial_ref_sys

Dane Springmeyer blake at hailmail.net
Mon Apr 12 20:03:43 UTC 2010

> Btw, the mapnik on willow still seems to suffer the original problem
> of
> not accepting the style files and break with the errors on saying it
> expects floats.

I recall River trying to work on this a long while back on #mapnik
irc. It seems to be a problem specific to boost property_tree
('ptree') on solaris.

Mapnik uses boost ptree for building an object tree during XML
parsing. To make debugging this harder, Mapnik keeps a copy of boost
property_tree in its source directory and builds against this locally.
The reason for this is that Mapnik has been using ptree since before
it was formally available in the boost sources.

In Mapnik trunk (aka Mapnik2, which will likely be the Mapnik 0.8.0
release), we have removed the local copy and are using the ptree
available within official boost sources. This required a number of
changes in Mapnik, as ptree function names changed a bit once it was
included. I recall River may have tried building Mapnik trunk, but I'm
not sure if it solved this problem on Solaris.

If you guys are interested in going the Mapnik2 route on willow to try
to get past this ptree problem, just be warned that Mapnik2/trunk is
potentially introducing backward incompatible changes in XML parsine.
Consider me a resource to soften this issue, and follow http://trac.mapnik.org/wiki/Mapnik2
  for more details.

Dane