[Maps-l] OSM-Wikimedia collaboration : what next ?

Tim Alder tim.alder at s2002.tu-chemnitz.de
Fri Sep 25 23:12:45 UTC 2009

hugo lopes schrieb:

> By the way, maybe the (inactive?) meta:OpenStreetMap page may be move
> to this strategy wiki ? Do you agree ?
No, I disagree. Please let meta:OpenStreetMap where it is.  Yes, this
page need an update but a move will not help us.
We don't need IMO the strategy wiki we are accepted and have enough
hardware to bring OSM-maps into Wikipedia.

> *Currently on Wikimedia and Commons: ...*
Yes, the map creation on Wikimedia is not very effective, but we need to
see if we really get better maps on a automatic way.
Do you know: http://u.nix.is/wiki/index.php/Maptest  ?  That's the way
we want to go in the moment.

We also know that we have some wikipedia map data that could not so easy
part of OSM, e.g. borders of Roman Empire. There we need an other solution.

> *...and encyclopedic schemes:*
> But OSM also open the path for web 2.0 technical schemes drawing, SVG
> and online editing allowing, again, to create linguistic label layers
> (English labels layer ; German labels layer ; ...) without duplicating
> the subject's drawing (and possible mistakes), thus easing update and
> corrections.

Linguistic labels yet running on toolserver:
http://cassini.toolserver.org/tile-browse/browse-ru.html?lon=13.3573&lat=52.51472&zoom=11&layers=B**
> *Founding ?*
> The now virtually death Greenspun project have about 20.000 US$ which
> HAVE TO BE USE to /"Improve illustration on wikimedia projects on the
> vectorial SVG side"/ may maybe help such OSMap-Wikimedia collaboration.
> Does anyone tryed this way ? Is this money still available ? any
> information ?

Yes I try it:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Philip_Greenspun_illustration_project/Requests#Map_icons
And I ask since years that somebody draw a set of free map icons.

Greetings Kolossos