[Maps-l] Marcin Cieslak (saper) now has access to ptolemy and ortelius

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason avarab at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 21:04:42 UTC 2009

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 6:57 PM, Aude <aude.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:
> I haven't had so much free time lately, but am comfortable with helping set
> up and configure PostgreSQL and PostGIS and get the OSM database import
> going.  Though, there are many more tasks to do that I have time to do.

Yay!

> Partitioning the servers in an optimal manner for us is something I'm not as
> comfortable with.  I could figure it out if necessary, but Saper is probably
> better capable of that.  One thing I do know is that the database logs
> should be on separate partition from the database itself, and both kept
> separate from the OS.

I can't remember what sort of RAID setup we have. Depending on the
RAID how we partition might not matter at all.

Without having tried it I wouldn't think that putting logging on a
separate disk doesn't help that much. Logging doesn't take up so much
I/O. However keeping the database and its indexes on separate disks
evidently helps a lot. See recent discussions on osm-dev/talk about
database setup.

> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Maps_server_setup_tasks

..although most of that is outdated when compared to this:
https://wiki.toolserver.org/view/OpenStreetMap_server/Setup_notes

> On Cassini, work is needed on PostgreSQL configuration.
>
> https://jira.toolserver.org/browse/TS-302

I'll take care of this one.

> https://jira.toolserver.org/browse/TS-303

I can't view this. I'll hopefully get the required JIRA permissions soon.