[Maps-l] TomTom Launches Open Source Navigation Project

Daniel Kinzler daniel.kinzler at wikimedia.de
Fri Sep 11 08:16:36 UTC 2009

HI all

I just stubeled uppon an annoucement [1] that TomTom (make of GPS navigation
devices) will launch an OSS project for location aware services/data, called
OpenLR [2].

They call it a "universal location referencing technology" and call it
"map-agnostic". Not quite sure what's behind it - a collection of data layer? an
protocol for supplying and polling such data?

I didn't dig deep, just though it might interest you...

-- daniel

[1] http://ostatic.com/blog/tomtom-launches-open-source-navigation-project
[2] http://www.tomtom.com/page/openLR

--

Daniel Kinzler
Software Developer

Phone +49 30 219 158 260

Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of
all knowledge. Help us achieve that!
http://spenden.wikimedia.de/

Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts Berlin-Charlottenburg unter der
Nummer 23855 Nz.
Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin,
Steuernummer 27/681/51985.