[Maps-l] SlippyMap code updated

Aude aude.wiki at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 19:00:02 UTC 2009

The SlippyMap extension code has been updated on the MediaWiki svn.

It's very much a work in progress, but the code is now split up into class
files:

* SlippyMap.class.php - a general slippy map class
* SlippyMap.worldwind.php - extends the general slippymap class; this is
still in development
* SlippyMap.hooks.php - put the hooks here
* SlippyMap.php - the main extension file;  configuration options can be put
here

Other files:

* SlippyMap.js
* SlippyMap.css

I'm also working on some special pages:

* One is Special:MapServices - It's not ready to commit, but it allows
configuration of what map types are allowed on a wiki, and which sources.
For Wikipedia, it will be restrictive, probably just to our own OSM
servers.  For other, smaller wikis, one might like to include maps from
other WMS sources.  On one of my own projects, I have GeoServer and PostGIS
setup, generating my own custom maps and want to include them in my own
wikis.

* Another could be Special:CreateMap to allow users to determine the map
parameters (e.g. bounding box, center point, zoom level) and generate wiki
code.  Or this could be done as a popup window or some other
implementation.  I know there already is a "get wiki code" button on the
SlippyMap, but that requires one to add a slippy map to the page, then
zoom/pan around, get the wikicode via the button, then update the wikicode.
I don't think that's the best approach.

Also to be done is configuration of OpenLayers, to include just the
JavaScript files that are needed for the particular map types we are using,
rather than the entire OpenLayers code.

There are plenty of other things to be done.

-Aude