[Labs-l] Full Text Reference Tool: Approved exposing of ip addresses to an external API

Marc-André Pelletier mpelletier at wikimedia.org
Thu May 29 14:29:05 UTC 2014

On 05/29/2014 09:59 AM, Jake Orlowitz wrote:
> Are there any approved exceptions where user ip addresses could be
> exposed on Tool Labs (say, if WMF said it was ok)?  Would this be
> technically possible?

Ostensibly, yes -- that is there is no *prohibition* from doing so but
the current setup makes it /technically/ difficult.

> If we have to run our own instance, will That allow us to share real ip
> addresses?

It will; as clients will connect to a web server that is under your
administrative control.

> Is there some workaround here that I'm missing, or that would be much
> simpler?

It may be possible to have the client /itself/ report its IP to you with
some javascript.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/391979/get-client-ip-using-just-javascript

offers some suggestions on how to do so.  This is a little tricky but,
with suitable user understanding should also be okay.  That said, most
of those solutions include a third party for reliability so it has
implications of its own.

> Could this script be hosted elsewhere within WMF?

Labs, whether on or outside the tools project, is pretty much the
"right" place for this.

-- Marc