[Labs-l] [Toolserver-l] DEPRECATED: tools.wikimedia.de -> Get rid of it!

Silke Meyer silke.meyer at wikimedia.de
Sun May 11 11:55:27 UTC 2014

Hi!

> gudn tach! (Hi!)
>
> On 09.05.2014 16:44, Merlijn van Deen wrote:
>> What is the problem with just keeping a tools.wikimedia.de/* ->
>> toolserver.org/* redirect? It's a trivial redirect, and users will then
>> automatically be redirected from toolserver.org to their destination.
>
> This is a very legitimate question and I would appreciate a (public)
> answer to this for the sake of transparency.

There we go:
It is not a trivial redirect: Wikimedia Deutschland will obviously not
give the wildcard SSL certificate for *.wikimedia.de to WMF (and WMF
would not want to have it). This would mean we would have to
completely delegate that subdomain to WMF and guarantee that it stays
like that forever. This is hard to guarantee and it is also misleading
to delegate a .de subdomain to the Foundation.
This is why I'm asking tool developers to replace this link in their
tools. (Yes, it is used inside older tools, not just somewhere in this
internet.)

Best, Silke

--
Silke Meyer
Internes IT-Management und Projektmanagement Toolserver

Tel. (030) 219 158 260

http://wikimedia.de

unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das