[Labs-l] DEPRECATED: tools.wikimedia.de -> Get rid of it!

Merlijn van Deen valhallasw at arctus.nl
Fri May 9 14:44:42 UTC 2014

Silke,

On 9 May 2014 16:37, Silke Meyer <silke.meyer at wikimedia.de> wrote:

> The domain tools.wikimedia.de, aliasing toolserver.org, has been
> deprecated for a very long time. It is legacy from the past and we
> kept it for your convenience **so you wouldn't have to modify any tool.**

(emphasis mine)

As tool authors, we typically cannot change the URL people use to access
our tool -- if there is a link to tools.wikimedia.de on some wiki, on some
website or in someones bookmarks, there is not an easy way to change it.

With the toolserver redirects to Tool Labs things are getting
> complicated enough without this old stuff.

What is the problem with just keeping a tools.wikimedia.de/* ->
toolserver.org/* redirect? It's a trivial redirect, and users will then
automatically be redirected from toolserver.org to their destination.

Merlijn