[Labs-l] Custom nagios checks

Antoine Musso hashar+wmf at free.fr
Mon Feb 3 23:10:40 UTC 2014

Le 03/02/2014 19:32, Petr Bena a écrit :
> I think it's a time to finally make it possible for users to create
> own check for nagios (icinga).
>
> I will try to document how current icinga is setup on
> https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Icinga/Labs
>
> Currently there is a nagiosbuilder which is a python script made by
> Damian which query the ldap and build nagios cfg files based on that.
<snip>

Thank you Petan for resurrecting Icinga on labs :-]

In production, the nrpe checks are being transitioned to use a define
such as:

  nrpe::monitor_service { 'jenkins':
    description   => 'jenkins_service_running',
    nrpe_command  => "/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_procs -w 1:1 -c 1:1
--ereg-argument-array '^/usr/bin/java .*-jar
/usr/share/jenkins/jenkins.war'"
  }

Whenever that is run on an instance, it will provision the nrpe command
under /etc/nagios/nrpe.d , an example for the beta bastion:

deployment-bastion$ ls -1 /etc/nagios/nrpe.d
check_disk_space.cfg
check_dpkg.cfg
check_puppet_disabled.cfg
check_raid.cfg
$

The challenge is finding out which commands are on the instances:

 - I am pretty sure nrpe does not let you list available commands
 - from LDAP you only have the role class and have no clue which defines
have been run on the target instance

:(

--
Antoine "hashar" Musso