[Labs-l] Production status of labs (wsa Re: Reboot of virt11 Friday Sept 6 at 20:00 UTC)

Marc A. Pelletier marc at uberbox.org
Sat Sep 7 22:18:28 UTC 2013

On 09/07/2013 06:10 PM, Maarten Dammers wrote:
> Toolserver has alway been production, just not with so many 9's of
> availability.

You're missing the point of the distinction between "production",
"semi-production" and "not production" -- the difference is exactly how
many 9's of availability we are gunning for, and how many people are
woken up by an outage to ensure that.

If the toolserver was intended to be production-grade, then it failed
dismally.  Ryan's point is that if something is really critical and user
facing for a project, then looking into moving it to production should
be on the roadmap.  If something can survive being down a couple of
hours now and then (as most bots or web tools could), then Tool Labs
suffices.

For Tool Labs (and the /infrastructure/ of Labs), we're aiming for two
nines or so, FYI.

-- Marc