[Labs-l] Reboot of virt11 Friday Sept 6 at 20:00 UTC

Ryan Lane rlane at wikimedia.org
Thu Sep 5 22:57:27 UTC 2013

On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 6:27 AM, Platonides <platonides at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 06/09/13 00:01, Ryan Lane wrote:
> > Outside of tools (and deployment-prep, which is rather ephemeral) we
> > don't consider any project "semi-production" and the failure model is
> > meant to be handled at the instance level. (...)
>
> Well, I think it's on tools: http://tools.wmflabs.org/**heritage/api/.<http://tools.wmflabs.org/heritage/api/.>
> ..
>

>  That said, relying on labs for something like this is legitimately
>> insane. Have you talked with Wikimedia Foundation about getting
>> production level support for WLM? That's what you actually need.
>>
>> What will you do if the node hosting your instance completely dies? Is
>> your work puppetized? Can you just bring up a new instance to replace
>> it? Are you doing backups?
>>

> I think it's just a clone of the project at the toolserver, and the code
> is under version control. It would be nice to have it puppetized, though.
>
> IMHO a hostname like api.wikilovesmonuments.org should have been used,
> for independence from toolserver, tools, wmflabs instances...

Using a different hostname doesn't really do much for independence from
anything unless you're also going to host the infrastructure as well.

My point still stands whether this is on tools or not. If something is
important enough that it shouldn't have downtime it shouldn't be on Labs,
even in the tools project. It should have production-level support.

Labs is not funded, staffed, or architected to handle production-level
services. Tools was created in a way that will work around host-level
failures in the Labs infrastructure, but if the network node dies, tools
will still go down. There's a number of other SPOFs in the architecture
that we're willing to accept for a semi-production environment that would
not exist in a fully production environment.

We are putting effort into eliminating the SPOFs where feasible, but we'll
never recommend Labs for services that must be up, since that's what
production is for...

- Ryan