[Labs-l] List of packages that are supported by tool labs

Ryan Lane rlane at wikimedia.org
Tue Nov 12 09:21:23 UTC 2013

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 1:08 AM, Petr Bena <benapetr at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 9:48 AM, Ryan Lane <rlane at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 12:42 AM, Petr Bena <benapetr at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Not really, this give me a list of packages that are installed by all
> >> classes recursively, but what if someone decide to remove some package
> >> from some class that the tool labs classes are inherited from?
> >>
> >> I think that only logical way of maintaining such a list would be to
> >> make it by hand and ensure that all packages on such a list are
> >> somewhere included (in some class).
> >>

> > I'm sorry, but when you suggest doing anything by hand, ever, you're
> > suggesting the wrong thing. If a package gets removed and it was needed,
> > then it should have been listed in the puppet config. The goal of
> > configuration management is to never, ever do anything manually that
> affects
> > the state of the system.
> >

> But what if someone removes something from puppet? Not directly from a
> class of tool labs but some other class that tool labs inherits. How
> are people supposed to know that this package was actually never
> "supported" by tool labs, but was installed as dependency of different
> class, which maintainer of decided it's no longer needed.

In general this would only happen if the package was removed from the base
class and we don't have a lot of packages listed in there anyway.

> It wouldn't be the first time when list of default packages that are
> installed on every instance by default was shortened. I remember
> original instances on labs, time ago, had much more packages than
> newly created instances.

This is likely because the new images are missing packages that are
installed in ubuntu-server default. You have to be specific when making the
image, so this is a bug. The base packages for the images are also in
puppet, btw, so if we're missing some packages in the image, we should add
them.

- Ryan