[Labs-l] Tool Labs documentation sprint July 23-25

Sumana Harihareswara sumanah at wikimedia.org
Wed Jul 24 20:17:28 UTC 2013

On 07/19/2013 03:37 PM, Sumana Harihareswara wrote:
> A bunch of us are going to concentrate on improving documentation
> relating to Tool Labs next week, July 23-25.  Now that obsolete docs can
> now be moved to their own namespace, "Obsolete", on
> wikitech.wikimedia.org, and now that WMF contractor Kirsten
> Menger-Anderson is working on a plan for improving documentation, it's a
> good time to do a big refresh.
>
> I personally want:
> * HOWTOs, references, and examples for people settling in and using Tool
> Labs - we have some to consolidate and clarify
> * tweaks to improve http://tools.wmflabs.org/ (the automatically
> generated inventory of bots and tools in Tool Labs)
> * a clearer inventory of available services
> * a curated directory of popular tools/bots that are already settled in,
> and some ideas for case studies to feature on blog.wikimedia.org
>
> Kirsten's going to send out a plan of attack, and we can all collaborate
> on an Etherpad, onwiki, and in #wikimedia-labs during the sprint.
> Looking forward to helping out!

Kirsten, Yuvi, Ryan, Coren, Silke, and a few other folks have helped out
with
http://etherpad.wmflabs.org/pad/p/Tool_Labs_Sprint_July_23
 and we still need a lot of help!  Here are bits that we'd especially
like your help fleshing out:

Section 9. Developing on Tool Labs (especially "how to use
<programming-language-X> to write tools on labs'" and "where to put
shared Tool code", working with cookies and pywikipediabot, and any
tips/tricks/useful knowledge) -- line 426 on the Etherpad right now.

Section 8.4: Scheduling jobs at regular intervals with cron (including
Creating a crontab and specifying time zones) -- line 416 in the Etherpad

Section 7.3: Joins between commons and wikidata and other project
databases -- line 394 right now

For each section, Kirsten has listed links that have some info already,
so you don't even need to do too much research. :) Come join us!
--
Sumana Harihareswara
Engineering Community Manager