[Labs-l] Removing memcache from tools

Ryan Lane rlane at wikimedia.org
Tue Jul 16 21:19:25 UTC 2013

We have a working redis setup that's relatively secure to use. We also have
a patched memcache (where upstream isn't accepting patches) and a C#
memcache that's pre-alpha.

I'm proposing that we remove the patched memcache and the C# memcache from
tools and only support the use of redis. I'm not a fan of needing to patch
memcache whenever a new release comes out, and I'm very heavily opposed to
maintaining a pre-alpha memcache written in C#, which very few folks in our
community know. MediaWiki supports redis properly and adding redis support
as a replacement for memcache is simple.

Unless there's good strong objections I plan on doing this one month now.

- Ryan