[Labs-l] RFC: Webtools setup

Giftpflanze gifti at toolserver.org
Sat Feb 16 12:56:23 UTC 2013

Hi!

Tim Landscheidt wrote:
> some brainstorming about how to set up Webtools
> (https://labsconsole.wikimedia.org/wiki/Nova_Resource:Webtools).
> Please chime in.
>
> […]
>
> So my proposal is:
>
> […]
>
> - Each tool has a directory under /data/project/web, owned
>   by the user and the group, writable by the user and the group.  In
>   it, the subdirectory "htdocs" contains the web stuff
>   ("htdocs/cgi-bin" for CGI), the rest of the direc- tory (structure)
>   can be used for private data (including bot credentials), log files
>   & Co.

Imho adding another layer of directory clutter (/web/) is a bad idea (I
already wrote that on Nova Resource Talk:Webtools). As well as is
/htdocs/cgi-bin/. It would be better to place all files into
/data/project/TOOL (use subdirectories if you want to). That would also
be the toolserver way (~USER/public_html respectively
~PROJECT/public_html), as a side note.

Nova Resource:Webtools also proposes the public entry-point address to
be http://web.wmflabs.org/TOOL. As I also said on the talk page, I would
prefer tool(s).wmflabs.org. ;) Unfortunately, that went unnoticed. :(

> Of course: Other ideas, criticism, etc. [are] more than welcome.

Here you are. :)

Kind regards,
gifti/Giftpflanze