[Labs-l] How to make my my public_html file readable ?

Tim Landscheidt tim at tim-landscheidt.de
Wed Dec 11 20:48:08 UTC 2013

(anonymous) wrote:

> In order to check my scripts activity I generate my log files in my
> public_html folder. Unfortunatly I can't read these files (I delete them
> frequently, so they are recreated).

> Is there any option to make all the new files in public_html viewable ?
> Currently I have a "Forbidden" error but I can see the folder content :

> http://tools.wmflabs.org/herculebot/

You posted on the Toolserver mailing list; I'm crossposting
this to the Labs list where topics with Tools are discussed.

Meanwhile you seem to have added an .htaccess with "Options
+Indexes"; this is the proper solution if you want to have
an automatic index of the files inside some folder.

Regarding permissions of the actual files, jsub has the fol-
lowing logic:

- If the output/error file (specified by the "-o" and "-e"
  options, defaults to files in the tool's home directory)
  does already exist, it will keep the file's permissions.

- Otherwise, by default, it sets the permissions for tool
  jobs to rw-rw---- (and for user jobs to rw-------).  This
  means that new files are not world-readable and thus ac-
  cess is denied by the web server.

To make jsub's log files world-readable, you have to add
"-umask 002" as another option, for example:

| jsub -o public_html/test.log -umask 002 date

HTH,
Tim