[Labs-l] saving up some public IP by using a common proxy?

Antoine Musso hashar+wmf at free.fr
Thu Sep 27 22:06:57 UTC 2012

Hello,

It looks like lot of instances are requesting a public IP address for
their HTTP server. I was wondering if we could create a frontend proxy
that would take care of redirecting the request to the instance.  That
would probably save up a good amount of IP from the pool.

On the integration project, we have one instance with a public IP and
Apache, I have setup mod_proxy to serve some other "private" instance.
The very basic configuration requires to enable mod_proxy and
mod_proxy_http then:

  ProxyPass /application-one http://10.4.0.123/application-one
  ProxyPassReverse /application-one http://10.4.0.123/application-one
  ProxyRequests Off # reverse proxy

  <Proxy http://10.4.0.123/application-one*>
        Order deny,allow
        Allow from all
  </Proxy>

That makes the app available as a subdirectory of the public facing
domain name: http://integration.wmflabs.org/application-one
Using virtual hosts it can be made to serve a different domain out of
the same proxy.

Does it make any sense to setup a frontend varnish that would direct
requests to internal instances?

--
Antoine "hashar" Musso