[Labs-l] Ability of Labs to be the new WMDE Toolserver by 2014

Krinkle krinklemail at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 23:37:19 UTC 2012

On Sep 26, 2012, at 7:49 PM, Harry Burt <jarry1250 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> 4) Is there anything we should know about that could inhibit this transfer
>> besides question #1?
>
> When I was asked about this recently, I had to honestly reply that the
> lack of SFTP access to instances was something I really missed
> compared to the Toolserver. I realise things like SCP do work, but in
> terms of good GUI support cross-platform, SFTP is way in the lead.

Do note however that, as pointed out else where, that Labs interacts on a
lower level than Toolserver.

The Labs "Tool Labs" project, for web tools and long-running processes like bots and queries, can just set up SFTP as part of its cluster.

The kind of projects besides the "Tool Labs", probably don't need SFTP as much as they are used by a different kind of user and for different needs/tasks.

Though even outside Tool Labs one could set up a local proxy for SFTP if it is really needed (without needing a public SFTP server inside that Labs project). An average labs user would know how to set that up. An avg. tool labs user would not, but that's okay since the tool project users wouldn't need a proxy as it'd have public SFTP.

-- Krinkle