[Labs-l] Ability of Labs to be the new WMDE Toolserver by 2014

Ryan Lane rlane at wikimedia.org
Wed Sep 26 18:35:15 UTC 2012

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 2:23 PM, Harry Burt <jarry1250 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Ryan, public IP (maybe in the IPv6 world anyway) + SFTP sounds
> a Toolserver-migration-friendly plan.
>
> It does of course raise the question of although it makes me wonder if
> how easy it would be to simply have one instance shared by all
> Toolserver users.

It depends on the architecture chosen.

For tools, I think a deployment/bastion host in front of a cluster of
web nodes makes sense. Code is kept on project storage and the web
nodes either use the code directly, or can be deployed to the nodes
through some deployment system. In this case the user doesn't need to
know about multiple nodes. They just need to know: "I write my code
here, and it works".

I think a similar architecture would work well for bots as well, but
we really need some form of a scheduling system. Toolserver uses SGE,
but that's *really* heavy weight. Things in the bot project are fairly
ad-hoc right now. Basically bots share instances, and if one is too
expensive it gets its own instance.

- Ryan