[Labs-l] Ability of Labs to be the new WMDE Toolserver by 2014

Ryan Lane rlane at wikimedia.org
Wed Sep 26 18:07:08 UTC 2012

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 1:49 PM, Harry Burt <jarry1250 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 4) Is there anything we should know about that could inhibit this transfer
>> besides question #1?
>
> When I was asked about this recently, I had to honestly reply that the
> lack of SFTP access to instances was something I really missed
> compared to the Toolserver. I realise things like SCP do work, but in
> terms of good GUI support cross-platform, SFTP is way in the lead.
>
> One thing that did occur to me is that once an instance is granted a
> public IP address, it might be possible/easier to get SFTP working
> (AFAIK the current block is the need for proxying through bastion),
> but I've not tried it myself.
>
> Perhaps someone more knowledge than myself (i.e. anyone else on this
> list) could shed some light on the possibilities here?

We require access through a bastion host due to a lack of IPv4 IP
addresses. Of course, there's no reason that access has to occur
through a single bastion host. Our hope was to get a much larger IPv4
range so that we could provide IP addresses at will. It's not looking
very likely, though.

Most projects have at least one instance with a public IP address. You
can SFTP to the project storage from any instance with a public IP in
the project.

- Ryan