[Labs-l] Project storage now available

Ryan Lane rlane32 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 07:32:47 UTC 2012

I've enabled per-project gluster shared storage for all instances. The
storage will automatically mount when you try to access:

    /data/project

The storage is mounted via autofs, and isn't ghosted. Since we are
using wildcard mounts ghosting isn't possible. This means that if you
do ls /data, you won't see the mount. Once you do any action inside of
the 'project' directory, however, it'll then show up.

Every project has a separate volume, and the volumes have a default
quota of 300GB. If you need the volume's quota increased, please make
a request to have it increased.

This storage should be faster than the local storage at /mnt on the
instances, as it has less filesystem hops to get to the disks. I
recommend always using the gluster storage versus the /mnt storage.
The volumes are shared to all of the instances in a project, so is an
ideal replacement for the NFS instances being used in projects
currently. I recommend moving your data from the NFS instances to the
shared storage, then deleting the NFS instances.

If for some reason you can't access the storage on your instance, let
me know and I'll help troubleshoot the issue. If puppet is broken on
your instance, then it'll need to be fixed before the storage is
available, as it needs to update autofs.

- Ryan