[Labs-l] creating a MapStory Labs project

Nitin Gadia nittyjee at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 23:13:55 UTC 2012

Some examples of where there could be very fruitful collaboration between
wikipedia and mapstory:

*An amazing article entitled "Territorial Evolution of North America". The
article has all the information for each change in boundaries of non-native
nations, and an animated gif map that is essentially a mapstory. People in
mapstory can have all the tools to add annotations and increasing detail,
and can create a dynamism that is in the spirit of wikipedia.
- Article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territorial_evolution_of_North_America
- Animated map (a good example of a mapstory in wikipedia):
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/40/Non-Native-American-Nations-Territorial-Claims-over-NAFTA-countries-1750-2008.gif

*Yellowstone fire. This article has a nice animated map as well, for which
there is already a mapstory:
- Article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellowstone_fire
- Animation (again, essentially a mapstory):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:This_multi-colored_animation_shows_the_different_fires_that_ignited,_combined_and_spread_throughout_Yellowstone_from_Jun._30_to_Oct._2,_1988.ogv
- mapstory: http://mapstory.org/maps/149

Mapstory is an enormous project that is in heavy development right now.
Mapstories will eventually have smooth playback, with timesliders, and a
large host of functionality.

Nitin