[Labs-l] ubuntu 12

Faidon Liambotis faidon at wikimedia.org
Wed Jul 18 16:23:39 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 06:49:18PM +0200, Petr Bena wrote:
> I was quite disappointed when I saw the number of packages which
> ubuntu developers decided to deprecate just because it's hard to
> maintain them. Some of them are mozilla development packages such as
> xulrunner and others which lot of software, including mono depends on.

What do you mean by deprecate? What's the packages you're missing
exactly?

> For this reason I would like to suggest that we keep support for
> ubuntu 10.04 on labs for some longer time as it might be complicated
> to run some software on latest ubuntu.

I'd like us to avoid 10.04 for new setups. If there's something you're
missing, we should attempt to push it to the latest Ubuntu releases and
possibly backport it, rather than trying to support newer versions on an
more than 2-year old distribution.

> I believe that ubuntu guys will soon understand how important some of
> the packages were, given to massive amount of help requests related to
> these packages and eventually restore the support for these.

Which ones are you specifically talking about? Do you have any pointers
to these discussions? I'm really curious to read the story and the
rationale behind it.

Best regards,
Faidon