[Gendergap] and to contrast...one stop Commons hosiery shopping!

Sarah Stierch sarah.stierch at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 16:20:16 UTC 2011

While reviewing new content for my scoop.it (
http://www.scoop.it/t/women-and-wikimedia), where I posted the recent blog
link that Pete shared..I was suggested this: (safe for work)

http://hosieryadvocate.blogspot.com/2011/10/hosiery-in-wikimedia-sexy-halloween.html

The blog writer has an entire set of tags devoted to photographs of women in
hosiery that are found on Wikipedia/Media/Commons.

Here is the blog when the writer praises Commons for it's excellent job at
categorizing hosiery.

http://hosieryadvocate.blogspot.com/2011/05/hosiery-in-wikimedia.html

"Wikimedia Commons <http://commons.wikimedia.org/> does a great job of
finding hosiery photos for you, when you search for hosiery, pantyhose,
tights and stockings, but there are many photos on the site, that do not
turn up with those searches. Those photos show up under different searches,
and will do just fine."

-- On a personal note, my first high end retail job, at 18, was working in
the hosiery department at Nordstroms. I became well aware of the fetish
around hosiery due to a selected clientele we had. But this gave me quite a
chuckle and brought back "Early retail" memories.

I'm impressed that so many men know so much about women's hosiery on
Commons, presuming that the majority of categorizers handling that
department are males....(I could be wrong, but statistically...)

Sarah

--
GLAMWIKI Partnership Ambassador for Wikimedia <http://www.glamwiki.org>
Wikipedian-in-Residence, Archives of American