[Gendergap] Commons Searches

Ryan Kaldari rkaldari at wikimedia.org
Fri Oct 14 00:47:12 UTC 2011

Unfortunately we currently have zero developers working on search (as
far as I know). There are several more significant search bugs that are
also not going to be fixed any time soon. Another issue is that our
search engine is Java while the rest of MediaWiki is PHP. This makes
sense for performance reasons, but makes the pool of potential
developers who are able and willing to work on it much smaller. In other
words, this might get fixed in a few years, but I wouldn't hold my
breathe. In the meantime, it would be good to follow Sarah's lead and
proactively curate the content we have so that there is less potential
for astonishment in our search results.

Ryan Kaldari