[Gendergap] User blocked for sexist comment, many disagree - it wasn't sexist.

ChaoticFluffy chaoticfluffy at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 17:27:34 UTC 2011

Thanks for posting this, Sarah. I was hesitant to link to it while it was an
active thread. My basic feeling in this case was that the user's comments
weren't *particularly* terrible, and all of us who are sensitive to gender
issues have probably seen way worse. A block may well have been overkill in
this situation. However, I'm concerned that the way that thread played it
out gave an overwhelmingly strong impression that "oh, you're not a woman"
sort of comments are completely fine, and that anyone who says otherwise is
a PC, tiny, reactive minority. I was really disappointed to be the only
person who showed up to that thread who could understand how the comments
could even be *perceived* as a problem. Just when we think gender concerns
may be penetrating the wiki's consciousness, we get something like and I go,
"...oh. Sigh."

There's nothing to be done with regard to this particular case at this
point, and I hasten to ask that people not descend on the (now-close)
thread, or the (now-unblocked) user. But I would like to see a conversation
about how we can address this sort of "Of COURSE it's fine!" attitude.

-Fluffernutter