[Gendergap] FYI [PAPER] "Suck It Up, Princess": Outreach and Diversity in FOSS Communities

Laura Hale laura at fanhistory.com
Tue Oct 11 04:05:05 UTC 2011

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 2:25 PM, Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com> wrote:

> Follow up to my own post of new thoughts... The idea of follow-on
> effects from improvements in project atmosphere is one that can be
> extended. We could, for instance, view the controversial content issue
> as a symptom of a community imbalance that could be improved
> indirectly and with less resistance than the "direct approach" image
> filter.

Hi Nathan!

After you volunteered to help with the grant to help develop a pilot program
to increase female participation on Wikimedia Foundation projects, I was
looking forward to working with you.  The time is ticking in terms of how
much time we have left to complete t the grant.  I haven't heard back from
you, and after your standing up and volunteering to be the 0.1% of the 93%
that will actively work towards this goal, I'm puzzled.  Are you no longer
interested in working on the project?  Your e-mails to me were so
enthusiastic about the project. :(  I can't do that on my own as I didn't
really have the time… and you were so understanding of the need for
assistance via e-mail.  What's going on?

--
twitter: purplepopple
blog: ozziesport.com