[Gendergap] Supporting Campus Ambassador programs [Fwd: Issue of Copy-Pasting]

Juliana Bastos domusaurea at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 15:03:36 UTC 2011

Hi all, this is my first message here, so let me introduce myself. My name
is Juliana, I'm a professor of Ancient History at the Federal University of
Rio de Janeiro State, in Brazil, and here we're also starting our own
version of the GEP program, Wikimedia Brasil
Educação<http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikip%C3%A9dia:WBE>.
This is the first GEP program wholly working with a language and a WP other
than English, and the WP:PT still has a lot to improve in terms of quality -
so we have plenty of space to work on.

I'd like to comment on these problems that are happening in India, because
we have also been facing issues of plagiarism, poor editing and conflicts,
although on a lesser scale. The class has 30 students, and there is
currently one article online that we worked
on<http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romaniza%C3%A7%C3%A3o>,
with all the rest of their work on sandboxes until the third week of
November. One wikipedian has spotted plagiarism on an early draft of that
article (it was stored in my sandbox, assembling the different parts the
groups had written), and I pointed that out in the following class,
explaining the problem and its consequences. I urged the students to spot
the places of the article where the copy&paste happened and fix it
themselves, without pointing out who made what mistake. The same will happen
with the rest of the articles until the end of the course, witht help from
online ambassadors and other experienced editors that have been occasionally
mentoring the students.

I'm lucky enough to have a campus ambassador who's a very experienced
editor, having written some featured articles
himself<http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usu%C3%A1rio:OTAVIO1981>(hes
actually not a student). I cannot stress more the advantages of
working
with an ambassador who's also an experienced wikipedian - if they're not
yet, then it's crucial tha the ambassador edits on their own as much as they
can. Also, I happen to have been a wikipedian even before becoming a
professor, so I know very well the importance of writing with the WP rules
constantly in mind. Actually, almost half the course has been dedicated to
working on those skills with the students, rather than just teaching them
the specific contents of Roman history and culture (I can do that because
this is one of the elective courses on the curriculum).

It's true that many students don't understand exactly why plagiarism is bad,
and how to cite correctly. They have serious handicaps on researching and
writing skills, and what I've been noticing with the WP experience in class
is that it reveals these problems in a very clear way, which a regular
course doesn't. This also requires shifting paradigms of behavior (oh my,
how academic this sounds...) both in students AND in professors. I'm still
figuring out how to deal with this new situation. One challenge in
particular is how to have the students working on their assignments when not
in class. My next classes will be regular lectures, away from the computer,
because I don't want them to create an automatic association between editing
and the lab/class hours. In our case this is even more critical, because
History students are not used with working on computer labs, so the
environment is very distracting for them.

And on specific gender issues: my trick was not to make them conscious of
any of this (also because here in Brazil we don't focus as much on a gender
gap agenda, for better or for worse...). Still, my most engaged student is a
woman, and she's considering acting as a campus ambassador when this course
ends. : )

If anyone is interested on discussing more strategies to overcome the
problems with students, and on the GEP program as a whole, please do contact
me <http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usu%C3%A1rio:Domusaurea>, over email or
through my talk page.

Juliana.