[Gendergap] Changing the Ratio in Wikipedia

Sarah Stierch sarah.stierch at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 14:32:45 UTC 2011

Christine - the same goes for African American artists - and people in
general. I write a lot about artists - have you thought about playing around
with Dr. Angelou's work on Wikiquote?

-Sarah

On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 10:28 AM, Christine Meyer
<christinewmeyer at gmail.com>wrote:

> This is a great idea, and I've accepted the invitation to join this on
> Facebook.  Although I'm going to be rebellious and instead of working on the
> article about a woman in STEM, I'm going to continue to work on [[Maya
> Angelou]].
>
> I've been working on several of Dr. Angelou's articles for the past few
> years; most of them are either GAs or FAs, including her most important
> autobiography, [[I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings]].  Her main bio page needs
> lots of work, so these days I've been doing some more research.  Five out of
> six of her autobiographies have been expanded, and they're at least GAs.
> I've been pretty much alone in this endeavor, but it's been enjoyable and
> I've learned lots from, to borrow from one of Angelou's poems, "a phenomenal
> woman".
>
> Articles about autobiographies and their writers aren't well represented on
> WP, and I believe that she's the only African African author that has a FA.
> Black writers, both male and female, of any genre, aren't well represented,
> either.  So forgive me if my efforts don't technically fit the perimeters of
> the event.  Or not--either way, I don't care, and as my mother would say,
> I'm gonna do what I want anyway. ;)
>
> Christine
> User: Figureskatingfan
>
> On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 6:35 AM, Amy Senger <amy at 1x57.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Everyone -
>>
>> TechCocktail just ran a post about "Changing the Ratio" of female editors
>> in Wikipedia:
>> http://techcocktail.com/changing-the-ratio-wikipedia-2011-10
>>
>> And it mentions the Facebook campaign I've started to change your profile
>> pic on Ada Lovelace Day (this Friday, Oct 7) and to edit or contribute to
>> the Wikpedia page of a woman in STEM. I hope you'll join me:
>> https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=154261054664442
>>
>> Best,
>> Amy
>> --
>> *
>> co-founder, 1X57
>> www.1x57.com <http://1x57.com/>
>> M: 202.423.6609
>> T: @sengseng <http://twitter.com/sengseng>
>>
>> *

GLAMWIKI Partnership Ambassador for Wikimedia <http://www.glamwiki.org>
Wikipedian-in-Residence, Archives of American
Art<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:SarahStierch>
and
Sarah Stierch Consulting
*Historical, cultural & artistic research & advising.*