[Gendergap] "Mind the Gap" Barnstar/Award - I need your help!

Andreas Kolbe jayen466 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 4 18:22:45 UTC 2011

Do you think the symbol at http://londonstudentfeminists.blogspot.com/ is copyrightable? I like it.
Andreas

--- On Mon, 3/10/11, Sarah Stierch <sarah.stierch at gmail.com> wrote:

From: Sarah Stierch <sarah.stierch at gmail.com>
Subject: [Gendergap] "Mind the Gap" Barnstar/Award - I need your help!
To: "Increasing female participation in Wikimedia projects" <gendergap at lists.wikimedia.org>
Date: Monday, 3 October, 2011, 2:17

Hi everyone,

I recently mentioned the idea of the "Mind the Gap" barnstar/award. The term "mind the gap" is in reference to the warning set forth by the London underground to warn people to make sure they pay attention the space between the train door and the station platform (learn more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind_the_gap).

Are you a designer? Or do you know a designer who would be happy to volunteer their time to creating an award for Wikimedians who work hard to close the gap within Wikimedia through outreach, welcoming, standing up for others, writing about and maintaining women's articles or related images, and forth....?

Here is the original "Mind the Gap" logo...which I believe is under copyright?: http://www.earthpm.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/mind_the_gap.png

Here is a cool feminist spin on it:
http://londonstudentfeminists.blogspot.com/

Another fun piece of inspiration - the German women's movement logo of the 1970: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Womanpower_logo.svg

I tried to develop something myself, but, my own skills are rather pathetic in regards to design. I will award you with a barnstar of your own and a beer if I ever meet you (or a beverage of your choice) - or the designer you recruit!! And of course fanatically praise the awesome-ness you or the designer are through Twitter, Wikipedia, mailing lists and beyond.. <3

THANK YOU for your consideration!

-Sarah Stierch

--
GLAMWIKI Partnership Ambassador for Wikimedia
Wikipedian-in-Residence, Archives of American Art

and
Sarah Stierch ConsultingHistorical, cultural & artistic research & advising.