[Gendergap] Gender neutrality template

Sarah Stierch sarah.stierch at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 15:57:03 UTC 2011

Just a reminder, we have a conversation started here about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:WikiProject_Feminism#Gender_neutrality_template

I also brought up the use of some templates used for gender studies. If we
can start contributing to the wiki about this, that'd be wonderful!

Thanks everyone for your input and Jayen466 for taking the initiative,

-Sarah

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 11:52 AM, Pharos <pharosofalexandria at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 3:29 PM, Daniel and Elizabeth Case
> <dancase at frontiernet.net> wrote:
> >

> > I love the idea of having articles of gender concern in a one stop
> shopping
> > space. Going through the NPOV collection is long, painful and is filled
> with
> > lots of advertising articles for tech companies. Blarghhhh
> >
> > -Sarah
> >    I agree with a gender-specific tag as well. NPOV is (by design) vague
> > and, to me, not quite the fit we need as it is best applied to allegedly
> > non-neutral use of language (in obvious cases of POV language, I just fix
> it
> > ... there's no need to discuss). We ourselves already have {{globalize}}
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Globalize
> >
> > for the situation of articles reflecting only the experience of one
> > particular region of the world or country. I don't see why gender bias
> > couldn't be addressed the same way.
>
> I was going suggest the Globalize template as well; it's a good model
> of encouraging broader diversity (The examples and perspective in this
> article may not represent a worldwide view of the subject) without the
> boilerplate harsher tone of the stand NPOV template.
>
> Thanks,
> Richard
> (User:Pharos)

GLAMWIKI Partnership Ambassador for Wikimedia <http://www.glamwiki.org>
Wikipedian-in-Residence, Archives of American
Art<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:SarahStierch>
and
Sarah Stierch Consulting
*Historical, cultural & artistic research & advising.*