[Gendergap] Monitoring impact on female participation

Chris Keating chriskeatingwiki at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 10:41:07 UTC 2011

So how can we measure what impact we're having on getting women to
participate?

Over the next few months Wikimedia UK's very going to be adopting a rather
more formal set of reporting procedures. I just wondered if people on this
list had any thoughts about how we could build in some gender impact
assessment into this reporting.

It should be fairly easy for the Board to ask for statistics on how many of
the people attending events are men and how many are women. Ideally we would
also have statistics on how many people attending events *who then go on to
edit/join/otherwise take part* available by gender. It should be even easier
to monitor the diversity of our staff (currently we have 2, both are male)
and Wikimedians in Residence (also currently 2, both male) and indeed the
board (err.... 7 men) - hopefully these statistics will be a bit better in a
year's time.

Does anyone have any more thoughts on how we should approach this?

Regards,

Chris

PS. Also, you might be interested to know that we've identified a £10k
budget for "broadening impact" - i.e. additional funding for projects which
are aimed at women, Scotland, Wales, ethnic or linguistic minorities - I
think this is a good thing but we do need to make sure the remaining £500k
isn't spent only on white Englishmen ;-)