[Gendergap] [Commons-l] Fwd: Photo of the Day on Wikimedia Commons

Andreas Kolbe jayen466 at yahoo.com
Wed May 18 12:06:27 UTC 2011

--- On Wed, 18/5/11, Béria Lima <beria.lima at wikimedia.pt> wrote:
From: Béria Lima <beria.lima at wikimedia.pt>
Subject: Re: [Gendergap] [Commons-l] Fwd: Photo of the Day on Wikimedia Commons
To: "Increasing female participation in Wikimedia projects" <gendergap at lists.wikimedia.org>
Date: Wednesday, 18 May, 2011, 12:54

Andreas,
Again: Stop canvassing your POV!!! This list (and Commons-l) are not for that.
That is my last warning

This list was set up to discuss systemic issues in Foundation projects. In the opinion of several contributors here, this specific issue is profoundly symptomatic of the issue this list was set up to discuss.
This includes Commons selecting images for featured status on the basis of comments like "I like her big tits", rather than artistic merit, and then featuring them on the main page. Or creating categories like "People using vacuum cleaners".
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:People_using_vacuum_cleaners
In my view, it's a basic community competence issue. Andreas