No subject

Thu Feb 10 03:51:04 UTC 2011

=2C some really like Wikipedia but when it comes down to editing don't know=
 where to start in that they have not got an idea in mind already to start =
their editing from. They might also be perfectionists who feel they can't c=
ontribute till they have some perfect idea.

For myself personally I tend to have these little 'inspirational' moments w=
here I'll be out or I'll be talking to someone and it will occur to me to s=
ee if the Wikipedia entry is up to date or complete so for me it stems from=
 from these moments. Now I'm runnng Women4Wikipedia I have been struggling =
to juggle running the campaign and editing Wikipedia! I have managed to add=
 my first biography of a living person and some other bits and pieces.=20

I think for people who are new to Wikipedia and decide to edit due to an is=
sue they feel strongly about=2C their fervour may be a double-edged sword. =
These people my be at most risk of their experience not living up to their =
hopes in that their strong opinion might imply that there are other people =
with equally strong opinions on the same topic on Wikipedia and facing this=
 while also learning the syntax and everything else can result in them feel=
ing overwhelmed.=20

The most common comment to me though is that women have just not thought to=
 do it before. These women don't cite any concerns about Wikipedia- one has=
 to be informed about Wikipedia to have heard of the reputation for conflic=
t that has been doing the media rounds. With a bit of help and support thro=
ugh learning the ropes=2C many women I talk to on Twitter don't have a prob=
lem with the idea of editing Wikipedia and of course some have alredy done =
so.

Just thought I'd add my feedback to the topic.=20

Rosie
http://women4wikipedia.net

>=20
> Message: 3
> Date: Mon=2C 07 Mar 2011 20:15:28 -0500
> From: carolmooredc at verizon.net
> Subject: [Gendergap] What motivates women to edit??
> To: Increasing female participation in Wikimedia projects
> 	<gendergap at lists.wikimedia.org>
>=20
> What Motivates Women - especially to write and edit? I think finding=20
> motivations many women share and tapping into those to encourage women=20
> to start and keep editing is key to this project
>=20
> I'm an atypical task oriented political organizing/writing maniac=2C so=20
> I'm not the best judge :-) I know many women are busy with home duties=20
> and myself have found the last 10 years that elder dog/new young dog=20
> care and barter-for-rent-housekeeping certainly have taken up a lot of=20
> my time.
>=20
> So I know it must be more for women with husbands=2C kids=2C elderly=20
> parents=2C etc. If I was working more than very part time (plus collectin=
g=20
> social security)=2C I wouldn't have the time.
>=20
> But for those who can squeeze in a few hours a week=2C what might be thei=
r=20
> biggest kick/motivator for writing about topics of interest? If the=20
> motivation is strong enough=2C even dealing with the male culture and/or=
=20
> dominance problem is easier psychologically for those who inadvertently=20
> or purposively venture into articles where lots of garrulous males hangou=
t.
>=20
> Since many women (overly?) motivated by ?selfless motives=2C? ?Women: mak=
e=20
> the world a better and smarter place - edit Wikipedia!? Just a thought=2C=
=20
> based on part of my own motivation.
>=20
> Anyway=2C feel free to brainstorm on this topic more with your own=20
> personal female motivation! :-)
>=20
> Carol in DC

 		 	   		  =

--_c7310235-6b96-48e1-91cb-a2a2f18cfb0a_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style>
</head>
Hi Carol=2C <br><br>From what I've seen of both men &amp=3B women I've been=
 in contact with recently=2C some really like Wikipedia but when it comes d=
own to editing don't know where to start in that they have not got an idea =
in mind already to start their editing from. They might also be perfectioni=
sts who feel they can't contribute till they have some perfect idea.<br><br=
>For myself personally I tend to have these little 'inspirational' moments =
where I'll be out or I'll be talking to someone and it will occur to me to =
see if the Wikipedia entry is up to date or complete so for me it stems fro=
m from these moments. Now I'm runnng Women4Wikipedia I have been struggling=
 to juggle running the campaign and editing Wikipedia! I have managed to ad=
d my first biography of a living person and some other bits and pieces. <br=
an issue they feel strongly about=2C their fervour may be a double-edged sw=
ord. These people my be at most risk of their experience not living up to t=
heir hopes in that their strong opinion might imply that there are other pe=
ople with equally strong opinions on the same topic on Wikipedia and facing=
 this while also learning the syntax and everything else can result in them=
 feeling overwhelmed. <br><br>The most common comment to me though is that =
women have just not thought to do it before. These women don't cite any con=
cerns about Wikipedia- one has to be informed about Wikipedia to have heard=
 of the reputation for conflict that has been doing the media rounds. With =
a bit of help and support through learning the ropes=2C many women I talk t=
o on Twitter don't have a problem with the idea of editing Wikipedia and of=
 course some have alredy done so.<br><br>Just thought I'd add my feedback t=
&gt=3B Message: 3<br>&gt=3B Date: Mon=2C 07 Mar 2011 20:15:28 -0500<br>&gt=
=3B From: carolmooredc at verizon.net<br>&gt=3B Subject: [Gendergap] What moti=
vates women to edit??<br>&gt=3B To: Increasing female participation in Wiki=
media projects<br>&gt=3B 	&lt=3Bgendergap at lists.wikimedia.org&gt=3B<br>&gt=
=3B Message-ID: &lt=3B4D758330.1000904 at verizon.net&gt=3B<br>&gt=3B Content-=
Type: text/plain=3B charset=3Dwindows-1252=3B format=3Dflowed<br>&gt=3B <br=
>&gt=3B What Motivates Women - especially to write and edit? I think findin=
g <br>&gt=3B motivations many women share and tapping into those to encoura=
ge women <br>&gt=3B to start and keep editing is key to this project<br>&gt=
=3B <br>&gt=3B I'm an atypical task oriented political organizing/writing m=
aniac=2C so <br>&gt=3B I'm not the best judge :-) I know many women are bus=
y with home duties <br>&gt=3B and myself have found the last 10 years that =
elder dog/new young dog <br>&gt=3B care and barter-for-rent-housekeeping ce=
I know it must be more for women with husbands=2C kids=2C elderly <br>&gt=
=3B parents=2C etc. If I was working more than very part time (plus collect=
&gt=3B But for those who can squeeze in a few hours a week=2C what might be=
 their <br>&gt=3B biggest kick/motivator for writing about topics of intere=
st? If the <br>&gt=3B motivation is strong enough=2C even dealing with the =
male culture and/or <br>&gt=3B dominance problem is easier psychologically =
for those who inadvertently <br>&gt=3B or purposively venture into articles=
 where lots of garrulous males hangout.<br>&gt=3B <br>&gt=3B Since many wom=
en (overly?) motivated by ?selfless motives=2C? ?Women: make <br>&gt=3B the=
 world a better and smarter place - edit Wikipedia!? Just a thought=2C <br>=
&gt=3B based on part of my own motivation.<br>&gt=3B <br>&gt=3B Anyway=2C f=
eel free to brainstorm on this topic more with your own <br>&gt=3B personal=

--_c7310235-6b96-48e1-91cb-a2a2f18cfb0a_--