[Gendergap] Emails to friends, lists to encourage participation

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 23 03:38:31 UTC 2011

Also try and start them off outside of the Wikipedia's where they can get a
handle on the interface and mark-up without having a creative investment in the
content they are working on.  I would recommend proof-reading on Wikisource [1]
for the most timid, as you only very occasionally have a completely ambiguous
decision to make and if you do the first proofread it is guaranteed that another
person will check all you work during validation. You could watchlist the pages
see the validation happen and check the diff to see if any of your work was
corrected or not.  It is really a good introduction to wikis for those who want
confirmation they are doing things right at first.  I am sure Commons and other
wikis have many gnomish tasks that will get new recruits used to how to work on
wikis.  Also send people to do peer reviews at the Wikipedias.  They can give
feedback on articles that interest them and begin getting used to the to
interaction with people who are invested in the articles they worked on while
nearly being guaranteed a positive interaction. Then they will feel more
comfortable changing things in Wikipedia articles and better able to understand
what is going on when their edits are challenged.

There is more to even Wikipedia the writing articles.  I am personally a
terrible writer and only make a great deal of work for people when significantly
edit articles.  I am rather good at peer reviews. I have an excellent
understanding of text-based copyright issues. I am a decent mediator.

People need to be sent to work on their passions with their personal strengths,
not just told in a blanket fashion to write some articles.

Birgitte SB

[1]
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikisource/en/wiki/Wikisource:Proofread_of_the_Month

Click on the work listed for the month (Ornithological biography, or an account
of the habits of the birds of the United States of America, volume 1) and then
pick one of the numbers highlighted in yellow on the target page.