[Gendergap] Hardcore images essay

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 15 02:24:02 UTC 2011

----- Original Message ----

In my personal experience, I when I have come across material I found offensive
I was discouraged from editing in the immediate area (or even commenting) and
leaving my name in any way associated with the material. I personally would
never generalize this discouragement to other areas of the wiki however.  It
hasn't always been explicit material that I have found unpalatable. But I have
always felt that there is level of material (of many varieties) on the wikis
that I cannot not strongly object to as counter-mission that I wish to campaign
for it's deletion, but that I object to enough on a personal level that I will
not do anything to help curate it. Certainly my participation in certain topical
areas is discouraged by this.  But I don't know that this fact should be seen as
problematic.  Isn't necessary that there be some pieces of material on the
Wikimedia projects for every single individual to find objectionable and
offensive?  I know of a great deal of material that I find prosaic does
discourage others who stringently object to and are greatly offended by it.
Shouldn't it work out that much of what I am discouraged by will be prosaic
someone else?  I don't know the answers here.  But I do know that I would find
it very hard to mediate with LDS editors over the image on Temple Garment if I
were simultaneously campaigning for the deletion of some pornography image.

Speculation here: Women will probably always feel discouraged from contributing
to the Hardcore Pornography article, no matter what images it contains.  We will
likely be more effective in efforts towards seeding pieces of articles that
women might be feel encouraged to build upon than removing pieces of articles
that may discourage women.

Birgitte SB