[Gendergap] Thinking about Solutions

Miguelinito miguelinito at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 21:28:12 UTC 2011

Hello again, Brandon.

Very nice ideas. There's only one of them that I'm not sure if it'll
improve the social relations or just the opposite thing:

>        A reputation system is a form of soft "social currency."  Helpful
>individuals (those with high "helpful" marks) are called out and those
>with low-value are de-emphasized.  New users would be able to recognize
>individuals that the community has determined to be high-value.  This
>helps to encourage trust, which promotes community health and vibrancy.

This could be (it certainly would be) used by some (male) users as a weapon
of vengeance against others, and there could be a real war in the
discussion pages. You know, reputation is very close to ego, and ego
is very close to dispute. And such a system would tear apart people
with no possibility to improve their reputation, because, once your
reputation goes down, nobody will want to vote for you. It's
discriminatory, in my opinion, unless you have something else in mind
I don't know...

Miguel Ángel